Short Story: She

I have been standing at the bottom of the Ferris wheel for about ten minutes now. I’ve already eaten one clue cotton candy. It has been three months since I’ve seen her. My palms are sweaty with anticipation. I glance right, and then left quickly trying to see is she’s here yet. Maybe she showed up early too. It’s getting close to eight. The sun is disappearing behind the bumper cars. Suddenly, generators start up, and things get a little bit louder. Sounds, like little clicks, go off throughout the park, the lights had turned on through the fair. Bright pinks, blues, and yellows. The garbage all over the once green grass isn’t as apparent as before. Maybe that’s why carnivals get busier at night, they appear to be cleaner. A man passes me with a corndog in his left hang. It triggered a new craving. I dropped my cigarette and stepped on it. Do I dare leave this spot just to go to a dirty old concessions stand? What if she comes to meet me while I’m gone? My anxiousness and nerves have mixed and upset my stomach. Maybe some solid food could help calm it down. I look around for a stand with corndogs. Through the crowds of people, clutching their oversized stuffed animals, there it was. I saw it, in big red letters against a white lit up background, corndogs! I got on the line. I was fourth person in line. There was a woman in line. She was next. She had gorgeous dark brown hair flowing half way down her back. She was casually dressed, but still some how managed to show she was classy. There wasn’t to much skin showing… enough to keep you curious. She was wearing a grey tank top, jean Capri’s and thong sandals. Suddenly, a tickle dame to my nose. I sneezed loudly. The women turned around and said ‘Bless you’. I looked up after my sneeze only to see her. The women of my dreams, my date for the night, my best friend who I had been deprived of for months, Carinda. After recognizing each other, we walked off into the crowd hand in hand reminiscing of our past and talking about our futures. I completely forgot about the corndog.

No comments: