Memoir: Maturity

It was my sisters wedding day and everything couldn’t have been better. The champagne was gone, the dinner was over, the reception had come to an end. We had traveled a short distance (the bridal party and some guests who had indulged in the open bar) to stay the night. Annie (my sister and bride) had went to the bar with most of the other guests to the wedding. It was here where things went awry.
My brother and his date had gone up to their room in the hotel where they found a mess, an un-cleaned, used hotel room. My brother was already stressed because of fighting with his girlfriend and quite drunk at the time. As an 18 year old though, he held his liquor quite well.
He went down to the front desk to complain and spoke with a young woman. He couldn’t understand why the room was a mess and no one had cleaned it. He told the clerk “I paid for this room! I didn’t pay for some messed up, dirty hotel room!” This is what he said in his mind, but hearing it first hand I know that it was drunken slurred words that were un-annunciated and oddly emphasized, it was a challenge for him. He flicked his room over the desk at the clerk. My brother stormed out of the hotel with his date Lindsay running after him. My sister Alison, the maid of honor ran after him saying “go apologize right now!” Of course with my brothers temper comes stubbornness, and he would not apologize. He told my sister he was sorry for upsetting her, but in his drunken stupor said that the hotel deserved it. I had gone back to the bar at this point out of disappointment, embarrassment and even boredom. The whole situation got tiring quickly. Who really enjoys drunk people yelling at each other for more than like ten minutes? My sister walked back in distressed and unclear. She went to my dad seeking assistance in controlling my brother. I had mentioned before that my father also has this very same temper. He stood up and walked very swiftly outside to my brother. My sister realized what she had done. She yelled for someone to stop my father, but he was gone. (I had mentioned my father was at the bar also? He’s a grown man and should have been able to hold his liquor)
After my father had returned to the bar I walked out to see what he had done. My brother was on his cell phone and my sister stood right in front of him saying “Hang up the phone!” over and over. My brother was bleeding from the lip. After I heard Alison saying “you’re going to regret calling the cops in the morning, I understood what was going on. My brother was very heated and upset, my sister continued to yell at him to hang up the phone or to let her talk to the cops. My brother came up with the brilliant idea to then throw his phone about thirty feet into some bushes. Alison tracked down the phoning hoping the local police department was still on the phone, but it was no longer connected. I then called the police department back hoping to tell them it wasn’t necessary for them to come, thankfully my brother had already given them our location, and the operator said it was necessary just to make sure everything was ok. So Alison and I ran after my brother and hid him in my room so that he couldn’t talk to the cops. We informed them that he had gone to bed and everything was fine. It was my sisters wedding day, we didn’t need an arrest.

No comments: